Skip to main content

Digital Collections



Morton Manufacturing Company records

Morton Manufacturing Company records

1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
small (250x250 max)
medium (500x500 max)
Large
Extra Large
large ( > 500x500)
Full Resolution

Morton Manufacturing Company records RHC-20

Grand Valley State University Special Collections & University Archives
1 Campus Drive
Allendale, MI 49503

2010



Repository: Grand Valley State University Special Collections & University Archives
creatorMorton Manufacturing Company.
Title: Morton Manufacturing Company records
Dates: 1941-1954
Quantity: 3.75 Linear feet(3 cartons)
AbstractThe Morton Company was organized by Matthew Morton around 1870. The company built steam engines and later produced valves for saw mills and water work plants, horse power devices, and agricultural machinery. During World War II, the Morton Company produced machines for tanks and jets. The collection documents contract work during the 1940s and 1950s with Westinghouse, General Electric, and U.S. Navy yards in California and Virginia. Materials include project files with contracts, blueprints, correspondence, and purchase orders.
Identification: RHC-20
Language:

Arrangement

Arranged in 2 series 1) Project files; 2) Blueprints and correspondence

Collection Description

The collection documents contract work during the 1940s and 1950s with Westinghouse, General Electric, steel companies, the auto industry and U.S. Navy yards in California and Virginia. Master group sheet forms include contract number, group name and number, drawing number, and machine type. Contract files contain plans and drawings, correspondence, and purchase orders. A description of the plant at that time by a representative of The Weekly Muskegon Chronicle is included in the collection.


Administrative History

Matthew Morton founded the Morton Company in approximately 1870 at Lapeer, Michigan with the purpose of building steam engines. After the company moved to Romeo, Michigan it became known as the Morton Valve Company, and furnished valves to saw mills and water works plants. Some of the company's early products included horse power devices, (treadmills) and agricultural machinery such as feed cutters. In 1881 the company moved to Muskegon Heights, Michigan. On July 8, 1891 a 27 car freight train with machinery and equipment for the Morton Company arrived in Muskegon Heights with about twenty families.

Before 1900 the company developed technology to aid in metal work with large castings, vital to future contracts with the U.S. Navy yards, manufacturers, and steel and tin mills. After filing for bankruptcy in 1968 a new management group renamed the company IFR Morton Industries. In April, 1972 the management notified personnel that the plant would close unless another group or business firm acquired the plant. Robert Morton was appointed Vice President of Sales and Engineering and held that position until the Morton Manufacturing Company / IFR Morton Industries, Inc. closed its doors.


Industries--United States
Lapeer (Mich.)
Mechanical engineering
Michigan
Muskegon Heights (Mich.)
Steam engineering

Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

Collection is open for research use.

Publication Rights

For information on copyright or permissions for this collection, contact Grand Valley State University Special Collections.


Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], Morton Manufacturing Company records (RHC-20). Special Collections & University Archives, Grand Valley State University Libraries.

Source of Acquisition

Acquired from W. Derrick Bell in March 1981.


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK